You may or may not know anything about Sustainable Renton. Let me tell you a little something about what we do currently and where we see the organization moving into the future. Sustainable Renton started in 2010 as a subsidiary group of Sustainable Communities All Over Puget Sound (SCALLOPS), with a vision of making a positive impact in Renton. Our mission statement is to foster a healthier community and planet. We were not sure where our energies ought to be placed initially. We were quickly given an opportunity to create a community garden on the property of Celebration Church located in the East Renton Highlands Neighborhood. This project is called Sustainable Renton Community Farm. We have community garden plots which are rented annually, we grow food for a local restaurant and we grow food for the Sustainable Renton Farm Stand. The Farm Stand is currently erected three times per month from May through October. This is where we offer our organically grown produce to our customer base on a pay-what-you-can pay scale. Sustainable Renton is passionate about food justice issues believing that eating healthily is a right not a privilege.
Sustainable Renton provides educational opportunities to the public via workshops throughout the year on various topics pertaining to sustainable living practices. These workshops consist of topics including Fermentation Basics, Permaculture Gardening Techniques, Medicinal Herbs and their uses, Kombucha 101, Compost Bin Building etc.
We have had other projects begin as a Sustainable Renton venture but, due to necessity, had to break off and become their own entities, such as Renton Food Co-Op and Meaningful Movies of Renton.
Sustainable Renton is currently looking for new Board members. What we have to offer is a 501c3 status that can help an enthusiastic person that is wanting to start their own project, provided the project fits into the lens of our current vision. We can also offer an opportunity to get involved in and grow our current projects so that our impact can be greater.
We are coming up on our annual rotation period in December and are in need of people to fill the following positions: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Members at Large are always welcome as well. Here are the duties of the officers per our organizational bylaws:
- The President shall by default preside at all Board meetings, or appoint a suitable facilitator to conduct them, represent Sustainable Renton in transactions with outside agencies, and is a voting ex-officio member of all councils. S/he will also coordinate with the Secretary and Treasurer to submit an annual report of Sustainable Renton activities to the membership and the Board, and shall perform other duties as coordinated with the Board.
- The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President in his/her absence, help the President to guide the strategic and organizational development of Sustainable Renton, is a voting ex-officio member of all councils, and shall perform other duties as coordinated with the Board.
- The Secretary shall serve as the Registered Agent for Sustainable Renton with the Washington Secretary of State’s office, is responsible for issuing notices of meetings, arranging and maintaining minutes of all meetings (of both the membership and the CC and its’ affiliated councils), maintaining Sustainable Renton records, conducting elections, and shall perform other duties as coordinated with the Board.
- The Treasurer shall manage the financial affairs of Sustainable Renton as chief financial and accounting officer, and shall be in charge of the administration of day to day bookkeeping, cash processing, and paying of bills, funds, valuable papers, and keeping accurate records for Sustainable Renton per the following provisions:
- The Board will approve the Sustainable Renton budget, financial accounting, record keeping policies & procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, approve all bank accounts and check writing controls and procedures, and authorize officers and other individuals to sign on checks at approved banking institutions, and/or represent Sustainable Renton in transactions with outside agencies.
- The Treasurer shall in general perform all the duties incident to the office of the Treasurer, and such other duties as coordinated with the Board.
While these descriptions may sound ominous or mysterious, our Board is made up of real people, doing real life things, and carrying out these job duties the very best way that we can. There is plenty of room for learning. So, If you have a desire to work on a grassroots level towards helping Renton become more sustainable and have ideas, energy and/or time to spare please email us at email@example.com
Our next two Board meeting will be held on the second Thursdays in November and December respectively at 7pm at Red House restaurant located at 410 Burnett Ave S Renton, Wa 98057. Our elections will be held at the December meeting. We will be happy to welcome you and answer any questions that you might have.