Board Minutes

March 2017 minutes

SR March minutes

February 2017 minutes
Those present: Larry, Rhoda, David, Mary, Rachel.
Motions:
Rachel makes a motion to approve January minutes, Mary second. Approved.
Rachel makes motion to accept treasury report, Mary second. Approved.
Rhoda makes a motion that Sondra teach classes to benefit Little Mountain, Mary second.
Approved.
Tabled business:
1.Budget approval- needs president approval
2.KCD grant due in April- What will we ask for? Who will write?
Old business:
KCD Event-Rhoda will follow up on planning this event and we will discuss via email.
Treasury report:
We discussed language in the treasury report that seemed confusing. It was suggested to change the use of the words Debit/credit and instead use income/expense when reports are given so that we clearly see when money is incoming and outgoing.
Sierra club 􀏫 coal initiative report: Mary met with Jessica to discuss SR concerns about Sierra involvement with and funding received from fossil fuels as discussed in January.
Jessica from Sierra reported there was a recent article that states Sierra is no longer taking money from fossil fuels. She did say that in the past they had accepted money from natural gas. The benefits of solar panels were discussed as well as how they are made. Long term effects of energy used to make solar panels vs fossil fuels were also touched on. Next action steps Mary is taking will be:
1. Meeting with Chairman of Utilities, Ryan McIrvin
2. K4C king County for commitment to climate change. Renton and other cities are joining in putting pressure on PSE to not renew coal. Mary will send articles from Sierra club and would like to draft a letter saying that SR supports 􀏫 coal initiative.
3.Rhoda has mentioned Arcadia as a possible clean energy source….it would be great to to know if this is a choice for Renton
Little Mountain report:
At the latest work party volunteers mulched with woodchips to fill in the area beneath the pear tree.
Rhoda has prepared a document defining the agreement between Little Mountain and
Sustainable Renton. She will present it to Lara to be signed and made official.
There was recent confusion about how proceeds would be allocated in association with classes Sondra would like to teach to benefit LM. It has been clarified that similar to other workshops offered by SR that Sondra will ask for a donation that she would like to specifically benefit LM as opposed to other SR projects. Next LM work party is March 12th.
New Business:
Board retreat: It was discussed that we should briefly re-cap items discussed at the retreat. We need to document and implement ideas that we discussed at the retreat. We especially need to incorporate any goals that were agreed upon that will contribute to making our meeting and event planning most efficient.
Workshops:
Herbal Remedies was quite successful. It was a full house. Rachel will write a follow up blog in mid march. Beekeeping is next at Renton Public Library March 18th
Efficiency-We can do better!
1. Minutes-It was suggested that Rachel create a google doc to store all SR minutes. She
would need Lara’s permission to access SR google acct. Rachel and Mary will set a date
to meet and help Rachel learn to use google docs. system to facilitate this transition.
2. Website- Who is managing it? Events seem to not be getting posted at times. We should develop processes for managing FB, website etc. How can we help each other?
Calendar items-
1. KCD grant due in April
2. Contact community center about plant and seed exchange. We assume Lara is doing
this.

January 2017

Present-  Lara, Scott, David, Rhoda, Shelby, Beth, Rachel, Sondra, Mary

Motions:

Motion to move time of meeting to 6:30 second, approved!

Motion to accept Dec. Minutes second, approved

motion to accept treasury report second, approved

Treasury report:

End of year profit and loss. We have been going over budget however we brought in enough to compensate. We have $2,000 in the bank we’ve brought in 4,000 spent three thousand you have approximately the same amount in the bank that we did at this time last year.

Old business/ tabled motions

David Samick will facilitate board retreat. We will discuss vision and goals at this meeting. It is to last three hours from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. with potluck working lunch.

 

Tabled motion:

Sondra proposes that she would like to teach classes to benefit Little Mountain. Class topics will include “more than a lettuce tomatosalad”, herbs, and food preservation. The fee she would like to charge is between 5 and $15 would go to Little Mountain.  

New Business:

Gleaners cafe:

Goals, ideas, hopes, and dreams….It has been a goal for a long time for SR to have it’s own space.

Cafe could be a source of income for sustainable Renton! SR could also use this as an event\meeting space. We would have to put in a kitchen. This could cost between 20 to $40,000 and we will have to do crowdfunding. Lara is talking to someone who will put together a video to start a campaign on go fund me.

Some concearns include adequate staffing and funding.

this project.

Sierra Club initiative:

Jessica from Sierra Club came to tell us about the coal free Puget Sound Energy campaign. Two boilers have been retired recently and Sierra Club is trying to retire the remaining two and replace with some type of renewable energy. PSE wants to build gas plant to replace coal plant. ideally 100%.  renewable energy.Utility commission oversees PSC they’re looking to increase energy efficiency. Some choices for clean energy’s include Montana wind, solar power and Washington hydropower. Mary says she will spearhead this project and create a presentation to take to the city council.

Calender items discussed:

Harvest Mayhem planning perhaps we should move it to a different month.

Kcd Grant when is the deadline?

Community Center contact for Plant Exchange is in the works.

Lara talked to Carrie Olson (we need to develop a farm schedule next month) from the Farmers Market about having an occasional booth. Grace Stiller who puts on Newcastle Earth days is interested in helping SR  to put on a green Festival in Renton in the fall.

Upcoming workshops

Herbal remedies feb 4th.

Shelby could pesent on bees on March 4th. She would like to do so at the library at 1pm until 2:30. She would like us to outreach to use as this is an entertaining and informative workshop for young people. Rachel will let Tom from RYC know about this event.

November 2016 Board Meeting Minutes

Present-  Lara, Scott, David, Rhoda, Shelby, Beth, Rachel, Sondra, Mary

Motions:

Motion to move time of meeting to 6:30 second, approved!

Motion to accept Dec. Minutes second, approved

motion to accept treasury report second, approved

Treasury report:

End of year profit and loss. We have been going over budget however we brought in enough to compensate. We have $2,000 in the bank we’ve brought in 4,000 spent three thousand you have approximately the same amount in the bank that we did at this time last year.

Old business/ tabled motions

David Samick will facilitate board retreat. We will discuss vision and goals at this meeting. It is to last three hours from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. with potluck working lunch.

 

Tabled motion:

Sondra proposes that she would like to teach classes to benefit Little Mountain. Class topics will include “more than a lettuce tomatosalad”, herbs, and food preservation. The fee she would like to charge is between 5 and $15 would go to Little Mountain.  

New Business:

Gleaners cafe:

Goals, ideas, hopes, and dreams….It has been a goal for a long time for SR to have it’s own space.

Cafe could be a source of income for sustainable Renton! SR could also use this as an event\meeting space. We would have to put in a kitchen. This could cost between 20 to $40,000 and we will have to do crowdfunding. Lara is talking to someone who will put together a video to start a campaign on go fund me.

Some concearns include adequate staffing and funding.

this project.

Sierra Club initiative:

Jessica from Sierra Club came to tell us about the coal free Puget Sound Energy campaign. Two boilers have been retired recently and Sierra Club is trying to retire the remaining two and replace with some type of renewable energy. PSE wants to build gas plant to replace coal plant. ideally 100%.  renewable energy.Utility commission oversees PSC they’re looking to increase energy efficiency. Some choices for clean energy’s include Montana wind, solar power and Washington hydropower. Mary says she will spearhead this project and create a presentation to take to the city council.

Calender items discussed:

Harvest Mayhem planning perhaps we should move it to a different month.

Kcd Grant when is the deadline?

Community Center contact for Plant Exchange is in the works.

Lara talked to Carrie Olson (we need to develop a farm schedule next month) from the Farmers Market about having an occasional booth. Grace Stiller who puts on Newcastle Earth days is interested in helping SR  to put on a green Festival in Renton in the fall.

Upcoming workshops

Herbal remedies feb 4th.

Shelby could pesent on bees on March 4th. She would like to do so at the library at 1pm until 2:30. She would like us to outreach to use as this is an entertaining and informative workshop for young people. Rachel will let Tom from RYC know about this event.